Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Preferred Airlines

So, yes, I know I'm in Florida. And, yes, I know I got here. But I had to mention this when I got here, because it just happened this morning.

I'm going to be flying Southwest for every single flight from now on. And there's a laundry list as to why:

1) Choice in picking seats. All other airlines assign you a seat, and chances are you may not like where you sit. Not with Southwest. You sit where you want.

2) Early Bird check-in. While this is an extra cost ($10 per flight), you get to choose your seat faster. The priority system for seating is based on when you check in. The earlier, the better. So if you check in at home, and print your boarding pass, you'll get to sit almost anywhere.

3) Bags fly free! The first 2 checked bags are free. The third bag is $50. Now, that does sound like a rip off, considering U.S. Scare-ways charges $20 a bag, but think about this: how many times have you had 3 checked bags? And, if you have 3 checked bags on U.S. Scare, it'll be $60 total. So, that's still cheaper.

4) Early arrival. We took off from Philly at 8:50 this morning. We were supposed to land at 11:50, like any other flight, but we landed and started off-loading at 11:30, 20 minutes early.

5) Quick bag claim. I'm talking about the arrival. After my sister and I got off the plane, we walked to baggage claim. At Regional Southwest, the walk isn't that long at all, maybe about 5 minutes. The bags were already going around the carousel. I actually grabbed the 2 bags, no more of a 10 minute wait, while my sister flagged down my mom.

Now, these are the reasons why we flew this trip, but this one is the main reason why I'll be using them from now on:

6) The staff. I had my bag randomly checked by TSA (no complaints. It took literally 45 seconds), and I had my sister save a seat for me. When I finally got back there, there was a woman who was looking to sit close to her younger daughter, so that she had someone to talk to. The only 2 relatively close to each other where an empty seat, and the seat my sister was holding for me. I volunteered to give up that seat, and sit in the back of the plane. I figured I'd get to see my sister for the next 8 days, so what's another 3 hours without her? After we landed, the flight attendant handed me 2 free drink coupons for being sweet enough to give up my seat. I told her I did it out the kindness of my heart, and didn't need them, but she insisted I take them. It that sort of customer service, along with the thought of rewarding people for good acts instead of punishing them for bad, that will keep me coming back, just as it would be with any other company.

That's my story with Southwest. Anybody got one that can top it with another airline?

C. D.

1 comment:

  1. I will only fly Southwest for those reasons. Made my flight to Boise in december most enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete