Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St. Patty's Day

So, I decided to post this, because it's St. Patty's Day, and I have a VERY Irish name (for those who don't know, my middle name is Patrick. Most of you know the rest.)

I stopped at my local watering hole, and it was swamped. All I wanted was my obligatory Irish car bomb of the year (this all started 4 years ago, my first St. Patty's Day of being of legal drinking age.). My hunches, as brought up last week, have been confirmed: my bartender actually enjoys trying to get me drunk. Let me elaborate.

Last Thursday, I was there, with my buddy Dane, for trivia. She was working. I really couldn't decide on what my next beer was going to be, so I asked her to pick for me. She chose Molson XXX. For those who don't know, it's got over 9% alcohol. She told me that it had nothing to do with the alcohol content. When I asked her what shots we were taking, she poured my not-so-best-friend Jim Beam. Yes, she went straight for the whiskey. And on top of that, she picked up the price.

Fast forward to tonight, and you can understand why my hunch was confirmed. I got that aforementioned car bomb, and she came over with a full pint of Guinness. Now, for those who don't know, an Irish car bomb is a 1/2 a pint of Guinness, usually a little bit more than the height of a shot glass, and you drop in a nearly full shot glass of equal parts Bailey's Irish cream and Jamison whiskey. The shot glass, which was mostly Jamison, was over-filled. Yes, I was dripped liquor on the bar before I dropped my shot in the drink. And what was supposed to be a 5 minute stopped, turned into a 20 minute adventure as I left my stomach settle before I dropped the shot. Oh, and did I mention that she made me chug some of the beer before she gave me the shot? This, my friends, is why I go to this place. They take care of people they like. Or they don't like me, and they're actually trying to kill me. But we'll see on that one. Probably tomorrow.

C. D.

2 comments:

  1. Actually your full name is really Daniel, Patrick, Patrick Loughin - DP squared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, but I'm hedging myself here. If this somehow gets huge (which I doubt), I didn't want my real name up here. The C is my college nickname, and we should all know what the D means.

    ReplyDelete